First hospital stay of the twin pregnancy.


Hello, kids. I’m happy to report I’m writing from home and not the hospital.

Oh, wait, you didn’t know I was in the hospital? I guess that’s because my only way to communicate to the outside world while in hospital is by updating twitter. It occurs to me as it gets closer to Baby Time that twitter will be how I let people know what’s happening – please note I can’t read your responses to my twitterings while away from the computer, but they are appreciated when I come back!


I called the hospital last night to describe the pain I’d been having. The midwife said I needed to come into labour and delivery immediately. Yeah, I know. I wasn’t too worried about it all and showered quickly before we left, because my stay in the hospital last summer taught me you want to go in as clean as possible because god only knows when you will next get a shower.

I was a bit shaky and nervous – hopped up on nerves, really – because who wants to hear the words ‘labour and delivery’ at 23 weeks pregnant?

TMD and I drove to the hospital (takes 20 minutes at 8:56 pm, note to self) and immediately got ushered into a private delivery suite. Cue detailed history of current pain, questions about my SPD, listening to both babies at the same time, and pissing in a little cardboard bowl that fit neatly over the toilet seat. The midwife was brilliant. We then needed to wait a tiny bit for the doctor – during which time period TMD discovered the very unfortunate CD choices for giving birth – including Eminem and Shakira. Whatever you may think of either artist, do you want to push your babies out to this music?

The doctor came in, palpitated my tummy, and then did a visual check of my cervix after explaining that with twins the biggest worry is premature labour. My cervix was tightly closed and nice and long, thank god. She also took a swab which was PAINFUL like a mofo. Does pregnancy change the sensitivity of your cooch or something?!?

This whole exam thing fucked my SPD up pretty badly – laying flat on my back is not a good idea, and the doctor also had me spread my legs. This is a big SPD no no. It was pretty awesome when my back began cracking and creaking really loud, and I was making that painful inhalation noise all over the place.

Doctor said she suspected bad ligament pain from my rapidly expanding uterus (measured at 25 weeks last week and at 31 WEEKS last night! That’s a big jump in growth, kids.). Said the babies were okay and there was nothing to worry about. I was given some codeine stuff and told that I had to spend the night.

Thankfully TMD and I are optimistic realists, and we had packed a bag before leaving home. I was put into the antenatal ward at about 11 pm in the evening, to enter to nighttime nightmare of Snoring Lady, Sobbing Lady, and painful hips & back. I swear to god, had I not gone home today the hospital would have crippled me. We’re going to buy some special pillows and stuff to support me with the SPD, because chances are this won’t be my last hospital stay this pregnancy.

This morning (if a whole night without sleep leads to morning, which I have since found out it does) had some more baby listening. Also saw another doctor, who said I was fine to go home assuming urine stuff was okay. My dipped urine tests were fine, but they were waiting for results from some microscope test or something. About ten minutes after this interlude with the doctor, the midwife came back and said they were going to let me go & would ring if there was a problem with the test results. She had one final listen to the babies and I was sent on my merry way.

I am in a good deal of fascinating pain today, and have accordingly strapped on my maternity belt to hold up my increasingly heavy bump. While Bumpy has been big before, just in the last day or so it has started feeling really heavy down low. I’ve got the belt on in such a way that it’s like an extra pair or hands holding my bump up, so that I can use my real hands to lift my legs up and down off the couch.

Spent today sleeping – and I am notorious for not being able to sleep in the daytime. Now am awake and awaiting a call from my mobile phone company. Whilst in hospital I realised I cannot receive texts from TMD (wtf, when you are in hospital, middle of the night texting becomes very important), and then today had the realisation that I have received no texts from anyone. And here I thought Aussie was on crack for telling me she had texted me some Very Important Stuff earlier in the week.

Mobile phone company are calling back to do a full phone reset or some nonsense, but the update they sent through appears to have fixed the texting issue. I even got Aussie’s text from earlier in the week. Have received text from a variety of friends – but still cannot receive from TMD. None of her old texts came through, either. Going to tell the phone people to leave my phone alone, because now the problem may be hers. Hope we get this sorted out, as she is obviously the main person I text with during the day (and middle of the night, when I am lying awake in hospital!).

I was yelled at pretty bad (in a professional way) by the doctor I saw last night, who strongly admonished me I should have been in hospital the second these pains began. Every midwife told me I must call immediately for any questions or niggles. And the doctor today said the same thing. Everyone kept repeating that the biggest worry is premature labour, so I need to take this all seriously and not worry about bothering them.

I think I’ve got this ligament pain for awhile now, so will ring only if it gets massively worse or changes in some way. My next antenatal appointment and scan is next Friday (t minus six days), so hoping that everything really is hunky dory. Dopplers are fine in their place, but it is always nice to have a visual confirmation that the bags of waters, placentas, etc are all good. I guess the only oddball thing is that one baby’s heartrate (Torre’s, we think) was higher than usual, but still normal. Over 160, though. The midwife this morning said they were 148 and 162 – the exact opposite of what the babies were doing last night. I suspect one midwife or the other mixed up the whole ‘twin 1’ ‘twin 2’ thing.

So, the upshot: I was smart to have TMD pack a bag, babies are fine, my body is slowly falling apart but will hopefully go the distance, and I am 23 weeks pregnant and measuring 31. Also if this isn’t wind I can’t blame my mother and her fucking fiber bars!

Love to you all.


Tags: , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “First hospital stay of the twin pregnancy.”

  1. Jinxy Says:

    Well I’m sorry you are falling apart but glad you survived last night.

  2. Katie Says:

    Yikes! I saw “in labor and delivery” and thought that meant, y’know, that you were! So very, very glad you weren’t.

    Had a mom come in today to get portraits done. She had two year old boy/girl twins and is going to have her second pair of them in August, both sets IVF. So, ummm, I totally thought, “That’s what Existere’s Bump is like now. Wow!” I know you’ve provided pictures, but it’s different in person.

    Eminiem and Shakira? I would think that would give you booty shaking Lamaze patterns. Is that really what they’re going for?

    Stay strong!

  3. Anonymous Says:

    Oh god this sounds familiar! Hang tough – all that schmaltzy stuff they say about it being worth it is, luckily, perfectly true. I went on total bedrest at 25 weeks and it did help, my back, everything. Best of luck!

    • existere Says:

      Thanks!! I’ve been on ‘rest’ since 19 weeks, and think it is invaluable, if a bit mind-numbing at times!! Your lovely babies make me look forward to meeting ours even more!

  4. Myg Says:

    Ooops – that anonymous comment above was me!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: